Pizza with Stuffed Crust
Cheese baked into the edge of the crust makes this extra-special pizza our favorite. It tastes like a restaurant-style pizza with mild ingredients. I sometimes substitute Canadian bacon for the pepperoni and green olives for the ripe ones.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 2 tubes (13.8 ounces each) refrigerated pizza crust
- 8 ounces string cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Unroll pizza dough and place on pan, letting dough drape 1 in. over the edges. Pinch center seam to seal.
- Place pieces of string cheese around edges of pan. Fold dough over cheese; pinch to seal. Brush the crust with butter; sprinkle with basil.
- Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Spread sauce over crust. Place two-thirds of the pepperoni in a single layer over sauce. Sprinkle with mushrooms, olives and cheese. Top with remaining pepperoni.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned.
Editor's Note: 8 ounces of bulk mozzarella cheese, cut into 4-in. x 1/2-in. sticks, may be substituted for the string cheese.