Pizza with Stuffed Crust
Cheese baked into the edge of the crust makes this extra-special pizza our favorite. It tastes like a restaurant-style pizza with mild ingredients. I sometimes substitute Canadian bacon for the pepperoni and green olives for the ripe ones.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 2 tubes (13.8 ounces each) refrigerated pizza crust
- 8 ounces string cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Unroll pizza dough and place on pan, letting dough drape 1 in. over the edges. Pinch center seam to seal.
- Place pieces of string cheese around edges of pan. Fold dough over cheese; pinch to seal. Brush the crust with butter; sprinkle with basil.
- Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Spread sauce over crust. Place two-thirds of the pepperoni in a single layer over sauce. Sprinkle with mushrooms, olives and cheese. Top with remaining pepperoni.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned.
Editor's Note: 8 ounces of bulk mozzarella cheese, cut into 4-in. x 1/2-in. sticks, may be substituted for the string cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 377 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1141mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Pizza with Stuffed Crust in Taste of Home February/March 1999