Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle; set aside.
- For sauce, combine the onion and garlic in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and basil; cover and cook at 50% power for 3 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon over crust to within 1/2-in. of edges. Sprinkle with 3 cups mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and olives.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Place cut side down on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 1, 2013
Delicious, will definately make again, this time with beef & pork Itallian sausage. Filling: Fried ground beef with a diced onion and a garlic clove minced for the filling. Toped with Tex-Mex cheese along with Parmasean. Added an additional 5 minutes to the baking time.