VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle; set aside.
- For sauce, combine the onion and garlic in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and basil; cover and cook at 50% power for 3 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon over crust to within 1/2-in. of edges. Sprinkle with 3 cups mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and olives.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Place cut side down on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Pizza Swirls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p22
Reviews forPizza Swirls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review