While my husband eats tomatoes just about any way I fix them, our daughter would only eat tomato sauce. This recipe came about when I experimented with an old recipe for fried tomatoes. Now our daughter requests these often.—Dawn Booth, Somers Point, New Jersey
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium firm red tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Vegetable oil
- Chopped green pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine the flour, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Dip tomatoes in flour mixture. In a skillet, fry tomatoes in oil, a few at a time, until golden on both sides. Sprinkle with green pepper if desired. Top with cheese; cook until the cheese is melted. Drain on paper towels; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 90 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Pizza-Style Tomatoes in Taste of Home June/July 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.