- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni (about 50 slices), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Stir in the pizza sauce, pepperoni and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 2/3 cup beef mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPizza Sloppy Joes
"My mother pretty much insulted my cooking after i made this. She said it sucked. I kind of liked it but, it could use some adjustments. It's pretty much spaghetti without the pasta and, my mom loves spaghetti but, only when she makes it though. It might just be her."
"I agree this seemed a little too salty (and I love my salt!). It seemed as if it needed to be served with pasta rather than on hamburger buns."
"It turned out way too salty for our taste with the sauce and pepperoni and cheese."
"It was a nice change from the typical sloppy joe's... It will go into our regular lunch/dinner rotation. :)"
"Everyone enjoyed the Joes! will make again!"
"This is a wonderful change of pace from the same old Sloppy Joe. My family prefers this one over any other!"
"Paying attention to other reviewer, I toasted the H/B buns in my toaster and broiled them on parchment paper...NO stick-No mess and they were terrific. I also added minced Garlic to the spices...Little common sense make these a real winner!"
"This really didn't have much flavor at all. Also, the juice from the meat mixture made the bun soggy so the bottoms all stuck to the pan when broiled. Overall not an awful recipe, but not worth the trouble of making again."
"Three of us thought it was very good and three of us thought if was just alright. It was very easy to make and was definitely a nice change from regular sloppy joes."