- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/3 cups minced pepperoni (about 5 ounces)
- 2 cups pizza sauce, warmed
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast, oregano and salt. Heat water and shortening to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture along with the egg. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stir in cheese and pepperoni; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide into four portions. Cut each portion into eight pieces; roll each piece into a 12-in. rope. Tie into a loose knot, leaving two long ends. Fold top end under roll; bring bottom end up and press into center of roll. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with pizza sauce. Yield: 32 appetizers.
Reviews forPizza Poppers
"I've made these twice now and my family just gobbles them down. These rolls are very tender and soft and we all just love them! I think next time I will try adding some other pizza toppings and see what happens. These are going on my regular rotation of things to eat."
"I made this recipe for our bazaar. Once the teens sampled it -- these rolls were all gone. Everyone who tasted this roll loved it. I'll have to make it again. Thnnks for sharing it."