- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 to 7 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 to 7 submarine buns, split
- 9 to 11 slices process American cheese, cut into strips
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, steak sauce, saltines, onion powder, seasoned salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread mayonnaise over bun bottoms; top each with American cheese, 1 tablespoon pizza sauce, meatballs and remaining pizza sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-7 servings.
Reviews forPizza Meatball Subs
"Very good.. even my picky son liked!"
"Made these for dinner and the family declared it a keeper. I used ground turkey in place of the ground beef and used thinly cut cheddar cheese in place of the American (didn't have any on hand). I also used whole wheat bread crumbs in place of the saltines. I liked this recipe because it was quick to put together, even making the meatballs. We will be enjoying this one again!"
"easy to make, and delicious. Everyone loved the subs! Will definitely make this again."
"My 7 year old loves this recipe, but we leave off the American cheese."
"Just finished with dinner and it was a huge hit with the family! Will definitely make this again!"
"easy to make and the whole family loved it! Thanks :-)"
"This recipe makes a large batch of meatballs which I take and freeze for extra meals. I do not add the processed American cheese slices and mayonnaise to the sandwiches. My family and I do not care for the taste. If I do not have saltines on hand, I use whole wheat bread crumbs. I also use whole wheat or whole grain sub rolls. An extremely good sandwich which I have made many, many times"
"Well, one easy solution is to eliminage the mayo - my goodness, it is completely unnecessary!"
"Has anyone tried to modify it to be more healthy. The nutrition numbers are very high, especially fat."