I'll always be thankful for the help my mother-in-law gave me when I first moved out to the farm. The sure-to-please recipes made a big adjustment easier. After all, dinnertime is often the only time a farm family can spend together...the meals had better turn out! Thanks to recipes like this one, my meals have been a "hit" much more often than a "miss."—Ruth Tacoma, Falmouth, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 cups cornflakes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, mix egg, pizza sauce, cornflakes, mushrooms, onion, salt and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Pat half of the meat mixture into a 9-in. square pan. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese over top. Cover with the remaining meat. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand a few minutes until cheese melts. Cut into squares to serve.
- CHEDDAR LOAF: Substitute a can of tomato sauce for the pizza sauce and shredded cheddar cheese for mozzarella.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 241 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Pizza Loaf in Country Ground Beef
Jun 4, 2014
My family loved it. The cornflakes , mushrooms and cheese along with the pizza sauce made it taste like a pizza without the crust. I will definately make it again when I want something a little different from your standard meatloaf!