These Italian-style sloppy joes are an easy twist on the classic. The meat can be prepared early and kept warm until it's time to eat. —Joanne Schlabach, Shreve, Ohio
Featured In: 45 Comfort Food Mashups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 1 ounce sliced pepperoni
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce and oregano.
- In a food processor, combine the onion, pepper and pepperoni; cover and process until chopped. Add to beef mixture. Simmer 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Spoon mixture onto buns. Top with cheese and mushrooms. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Burgers in Country Woman September/October 1992, p37
Reviews forPizza Joes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2014
"These are soooooo good and easy! I will make them again for sure!!"
Reviewed Oct. 1, 2014
"This recipe disappeared from our plates faster than I got them on the buns. A new house favorite!"