- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the oil, salt, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients; set aside. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to greased 12-in. pizza pans; build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread sauce over hot crusts to within 2-in. of edges; top with sausage, mushrooms, green pepper and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 pizzas.
Reviews forPizza from Scratch
"LOVED this recipe and will definitely make it again! The dough was too heavy for my regular beaters and so I put my kneading hooks on and mixed it that way. I didn't measure any of the toppings and just set it up so everyone could add whatever they wanted, and also used ham pineapples, pepperoni, onions, olives, etc!! A keeper!!!"
"Pizza is my favorite food. This was my first time cooking it. I was disappointed but heck I've eating some delicious pizza! Even eat some in Italy. But for my taste, the sauce lacked "zest," there was not enough cheese, and heck! No pepperoni! But my mother liked it! hehe. I hope to try again soon."
"This is a delicious recipe. I have been making another for many years and this one tops it. The crust is crunchy and soft inside. True as another reader mentioned the dough was harder to mix with the 2 cups of flour but when the beater started to labor I stopped and mixed the remainder by hand. I added various toppings and sooo good!Thank you for a terrific recipe!"
"Beat on medium speed?? Seriously?? Thanks a bunch, the 2 c. flour hadn't even all been mixed in and the dough has climbed up the beaters and into my mixer. Did it ruin your mixer when you made it too? I will never make this again and dont reccomend it to anyone else either. I'm sure the toppings and sauce are great, but the dough is bad."
"This was a great recipe. My family loved it. We used pepperoni instead of sausage, and added olives. Very versatile recipe. Thanks!"
"When I made this for my In-laws they loved it! It is easy and delicious. The sauce is the best part. I make it often, per my husband's request."