From Beloit, Wisconsin, Lisa Trunckenbrod sends this better-for-you version of an all-time lunch-counter classic. Loaded with popular pizza flavor, the cheese-topped burgers not only taste great, but they beat the clock as well.
Recommended: Our All-Time Best Pizzas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon aniseed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 tomato slices
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into six patties. Place on broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Broil 6 in. from heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Burgers in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p7
Reviews forPizza Burgers
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2010
"I didn't make these in the broiler, I just did them in a skillet. They fell apart a little but were very tasty!"