Pizza Bread (Pizza Sandwiches)
When I was growing up, my parents worked. So I learned basic cooking skills in Boy Scouts to prepare meals at home. These days, my wife Diane, and I share the kitchen responsibilities.—Steve Mirro, Cape Coral, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (20 inches) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 8 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, Combine beef, tomato paste, olives, Parmesan cheese, chives, salt, oregano and pepper. Spread to the edges of the cut surface of the bread. Place on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Top with mozzarella cheese; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 495 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1282mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Pizza Bread (Pizza Sandwiches) in Taste of Home April/May 1997