- 1 package (19 ounces) Johnsonville® Original Brats, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 8 pita pocket halves, warmed
- In a large skillet, cook bratwurst, onion and pepper over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until bratwurst is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up bratwurst into crumbles; drain. Stir in sauerkraut; heat through.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, mix sour cream and mustard. Fill pita halves with bratwurst mixture; serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
"easy and tasty."
"We don't especially care for pita bread, so I used warm flatbread, spread with sauce, topped with brat mixture and folded in half, taco-style. I also used spicy brown mustard instead of stone-ground, as that's what I had on hand. My hard-to-please husband gave it two thumbs up, saying, "It's a keeper!""
"OOOOH, these were soooo good. I cut the recipe in half to make just two sandwiches, just for me (yum). The sauerkraut that I buy comes in a glass jar, so it is easy to refrigerate and keep for another time. I did not have, and don't particularly like pita, so I used a large hoagie roll, toasted, and that was perfect. I really like the addition of the sour cream and the mustard. You are in for a treat, and so easy to make. This wurst is the best (groan, couldn't resist!)"