Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 5 whole pita breads (6 inches)
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place pitas on a baking sheet. Spread with refried beans; top with beef, salsa and cheese.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with sour cream and onions.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 394 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 1024mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 8, 2012
I modified this recipe to suit our tastes. I added a little taco seasoning to the meat and stirred in the salsa. I added a little more taco seasoning to the re-fried beans . I used tostada shells instead of pita bread and added shredded lettuce and chopped tomato, put in a 350 degree oven just until the cheese melted. Really good. Added sour cream and the onions. Really good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.