I've had this cookie in my rotation for many years, and it never fails to please. I prefer pistachio nuts and black walnuts for sprinkling over the cookie cutouts, but it's fine to use whatever nut you prefer.—Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 2/3 cup chopped black walnuts
- Melted dark chocolate chips, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and nutmeg; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter. Using a floured 1-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter, cut and remove the center of each. Reroll removed centers and scraps. Place cookies 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and water until blended; brush lightly over tops. Sprinkle with pistachios and walnuts.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- If desired, drizzle tops with melted chocolate. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie (calculated without chocolate): 106 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as CHOCOLATE PISTACHIOS in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.