I've had this cookie in my rotation for many years, and it never fails to please. I prefer pistachio nuts and black walnuts for sprinkling over the cookie cutouts, but it's fine to use whatever nut you prefer.—Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 2/3 cup chopped black walnuts
- Melted dark chocolate chips, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and nutmeg; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter. Using a floured 1-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter, cut and remove the center of each. Reroll removed centers and scraps. Place cookies 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and water until blended; brush lightly over tops. Sprinkle with pistachios and walnuts.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- If desired, drizzle tops with melted chocolate. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie (calculated without chocolate): 106 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as CHOCOLATE PISTACHIOS in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine