"Some years ago I decided to take a bread-baking course at our local school since I had never worked with yeast. I have never tasted anything as good or had as many compliments as I did when I brought home this pretty sweet bread."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1 ring (18 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup shelled salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, 2 cups flour and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. On a floured surface, roll into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with pistachios and sugar. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring.
- With a scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 3/4-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show, slightly overlapping with the previous piece. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.