Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red paste food coloring
- 1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg whites, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half; add food coloring to one portion. Divide red and plain doughs into two portions. Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll out one portion of plain dough into an 8x6-in. rectangle. Repeat with one portion of red dough. Remove waxed paper; place red dough over plain.
- Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Roll the log in pistachios; wrap in plastic. Repeat with remaining doughs. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap logs; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda sugar blend.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 49 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 1, 2010
There seems to be an awful lot of Cake flour compaired to the small amount of liquid. Mine certianly did not turn out as a dough. It is more like crumbs to be pressed into the bottom of a pan for squares. There is no way that I could roll it out between two sheets of waxed paper. I am possibly doing something wrong but for the life of me I do not know what it is. The eggs I used were large, it does not specify in the recipe that they should be a certain size.I would appreciate hearing what you think I may have done incorrectly. Thanks Megan Cappell