VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and orange peel. Gradually add flour. Set aside 3 tablespoons pistachios for topping; stir remaining pistachios into dough.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 1-1.2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip tops of cooled cookies in chocolate, then in reserved pistachios. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pistachio Orange Drops in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p73