Pistachio-Crusted Chicken with Garden Spinach
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 35 min.
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 1-1/4 cups pistachios
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- Broil pepper 4 in. from heat until blistered. Rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Place in a small bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Process pistachios in a food processor until ground. Transfer to a shallow bowl; add bread crumbs. Place buttermilk in another bowl.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; dip in buttermilk, then coat with pistachio mixture. Place on a work surface; top with goat cheese and basil. Fold chicken in half; secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks.
- Discard charred skin from pepper; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper in a food processor. In a small skillet, saute shallot in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth; heat through. Add mixture to the food processor; process until blended.
- Whisk vinegar and oil. Add spinach and basil; toss to coat. Divide salad among four plates; top with chicken and pepper sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 652 calories, 37g fat (10g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 909mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 52g protein.
Aug 3, 2014
This was the most delicious dish. A great complex of flavors. I had to focus a bit to make it the first time, as I'm a new cook to multii-stage recipes, but now I could whip through it. I served it with rosemary red potatoes (requested by my love) and it paired great. Everybody loved it!! It looked amazing...
Jan 3, 2011
Made this for New Years Eve Dinner and it was out of this world!
Sep 13, 2010
My sister made me this for my birthday lunch great receipe tasted great. she also added fresh strawberries and orange slices.
Jul 29, 2010
May 26, 2010
this tasted like summertime in your mouth...very fresh. I didn't have shallots and substituted with green onions. I also didn't have any panko bread crumbs so just shredded 2 slices of whole wheat bread. It worked great!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.