Pistachio Apricot Bars
Mom tops a pistachio crust with apricot preserves and more chopped nuts to make these moist and buttery shortbread-like bars. They’re the perfect dessert for a Syrian menu. —Weda Mosellie, Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
- Additional chopped pistachios, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pistachios. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread with preserves.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Garnish with additional pistachios if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 173 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Apricot-Pistachio Crumb Squares in Taste of Home August/September 2005