- 1 package (12 ounces) jumbo pasta shells
- 3 logs (11 ounces each) fresh goat cheese or 2 cartons (15 ounces each) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Zucchini strips, optional
- Additional marinara sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cook pasta shells according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix goat cheese, basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic and salt. Spread 1-1/4 cups marinara sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Fill each shell with 1 rounded tablespoon cheese mixture; arrange over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. If desired, make X's over the top using crisscrossed zucchini strips.
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. If desired, warm additional sauce and serve with shells. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forPirate Pasta Shells
"This was tasty and a nice change for my family. I made sure to use whole milk ricotta as the recipe suggests. Part skim ricotta does not do well in recipies like this. I also cut some flat leaf parsley and laid the leaves on top of the cheese before baking. This adds a pretty touch."
"My 2 year old and 5 year old had a blast helping me make this, but half of our family of 6 liked it. Next time I would probably do more marina and a little less ricotta cheese, or try goat cheese."
"This was a pretty good recipe, but needed a lot more seasonings. I made homemade pasta sauce, but jar sauce would be much easier. Otherwise, the cheese mixture was great and the leftovers were even better!"
"Very easy to prepare and love the fun concept twist with the X for pirate theme. Husband complained it was a bit bland though....next time would give it a kick with more spices (and likely an addition of meat). I think overall, a nice kid friendly dish that I would make again for others, perhaps a fun potluck meal or meal gift for another."
"This was very good. I used 2. 8oz packages of cream cheese . I added some hot sauce too. I would make this again. Janet FE"
"This is a yummy meatless dish and easy to make. I used a roasted red pepper marinara sauce because that is what I had on hand. I served this with long, shaved pieces of parmesan cheese. The leftovers heated up well and were even more delicious then the first night."