I cut this recipe out of a magazine many years ago and have tried it along with my favorite vegetable recipes. I love it with garden fresh green beans.—Cathee Bethel, Philomath, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 to 6 large cactus pads (about 8 inches x 4 inches) or 3 cups fresh green beans
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 tablespoons or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cornbread, optional
- Slice cactus pads into 1/2-in. wide strips; place in a saucepan. Add onion, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and cook over medium heat until cactus is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet until crisp; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. To drippings, add vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and remaining salt; bring to a boil. Add cactus and bacon; toss to coat. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm with cornbread if desired.