Pinto Bean Turnovers
Try these satisfying snacks from Sue Seymour Valatie, New York. She pats cheese into the dough, then tucks in store-bought bean dip to fix these tasty turnovers. "They're easy to assemble with prepared pie crusts," she says.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup pinto bean dip
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine bean dip, onion and green pepper; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Sprinkle with half of cheese; press lightly with fingers. Turn pastry over; sprinkle with remaining cheese and press lightly. Cut into 3-in. circles.
- Place about 2 teaspoons bean mixture in the center of each circle. Fold over; press edges with a fork to seal. Sprinkle with chili powder. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 155 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.