A friend submitted this recipe to a cookbook our school district was compiling. The first time I made them, the whole family declared the recipe a winner. Delicious and healthy to boot, they remain favorites to this day. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Recommended: 24 Upside-Down Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar or 3 tablespoons brown sugar substitute blend
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 canned pineapple slices
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free lemon or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Mix brown sugar and melted butter; divide among prepared cups. Quarter each pineapple slice; place one piece in each cup.
- For cakes, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt and milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Cool in pan 2 minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Pineapple Upside-Down Muffin Cakes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p226