This dump cake recipe is wonderful topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It works well with gluten-free and sugar-free cake mixes too. —Karin Gatewood, Dallas, Texas
Recommended: 24 Dump and Go Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a microwave, melt 1/2 cup butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread evenly onto bottom of a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with cherries and pecans; top with pineapple. Sprinkle evenly with dry cake mix. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over top.
- Cook, covered, on high until fruit mixture is bubbly, about 2 hours. (To avoid scorching, rotate slow cooker insert one-half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts.)
- Turn off slow cooker; let stand, uncovered, 30 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with ice cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Pineapple Upside-Down Dump Cake in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018