Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 12 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped topping, optional
- 1. Line the bottom of 12 greased jumbo muffin cups with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat; stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Spoon 1 tablespoonful into each muffin cup; top each with a pineapple slice and a cherry.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thickened and lemon-colored. Beat in the oil, sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix well.
- 4. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely. Garnish with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 1 dozen jumbo cupcakes.
1 each: 602 calories, 29g fat (9g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes
"I love this recipe! Turned out perfectly. I was out of cherries and didn't want to make a run to the store so I used craisins to sprinkle in with the pineapple...perfect and a great flavor with the pineapple! The cake part was light and just moist enough..."
"These turned out disgusting! I thought 1 cup of oil couldn't be right but did it any way! they didn't raise at all and tasted so horrible I threw them away! what a waste of 2 hours!"
"I made these for our Easter brunch and they are delicious! Easier to make than I first thought, too. I made mine in the jumbo muffin pans and called them pineapple upside down muffins. I had enough topping and batter for 13 jumbo muffins which was a nice surprise--a baker's dozen of these is a good thing indeed!"
"Very easy for individual servings"
"These are delicious!"
"I do make these all the time with the yellow cake mix. I just replace the water it calls for with the pineapple juice from the can. Remember these are JUMBO cupcakes so the nutritional facts will be higher. I always use regular cupcake pans. If you use the pineapple rings you may have to cut them to fit the reg size pans. I have also used pineapple tidbits and crushed pineapple. All work just fine."
"Love this !!!!!"
"NanyCarol you sure can, I use canned in this recipe and it's wonderful."
"Can you use canned pineapple instead of fresh? I'm diabetic, but I would certainly try 1/2 of one! You don't have to eat the whole recipe!!!"
"Wonderful cupcakes. Proud to serve to guests. For those people complaining about the sugar and fat, remember these are for dessert not a meal. Just eat one."
"You can also use a yellow cake mix instead, that would cut down on some calories!!"
"These are easy and delicious. Best sellers at our bakery"
"These look great, and taste great. The only thing wrong is they are loaded with too many calories for me, since I have got diabetes. Sharon Vaughn"
"One look at the nutritional facts and I put this recipe aside. Why does everything that looks good be so unhealthy?"
"It looks very very good but omg the calories and carbs they are too high. I can change that if anybody wants and it will still taste as good. Also the sugar with the corn syrup. this is definitely not for diabetics. But I know my husband would love it and he does not need to worry about any of it."
"LOOK SO GOOD!"
"Sooo good! cake is tender but not overly sweet. They come out looking beautiful and moist."
"pam spray works very good then use a toothpick to peel the cupcake liner off when its stilll hot if the pineapples come off just put them back on cause they r sticky while they r hot , oh and i always chop some pecans on the cakes people like that..."
"Great recipe, worked out great for our Luau party."
"This cupcake was a big hit with the family and it was simple to make."
"Use shortenings for when you grease muffin cups, loaf pans or whatever. It works wonders! :)"
"These cupcakes were very good although didn't have jumbo muffin tins so used the small ones. I had a hard time getting the muffin cups off of the cake any suggestions would be great."