Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Anne Polhemus of North Merrick, New York doles out slices of this sunny-colored dessert while it's still warm from the oven. The moist cake gets fruity flavor from crushed pineapple and lemon gelatin.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice (discard or save remaining juice for another use). Line a 9-in. round baking pan with waxed paper; coat with cooking spray. Spread pineapple over waxed paper; sprinkle with gelatin.
- In a large bowl, beat egg substitute and egg white. Beat in the sugar, reserved pineapple juice and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture and mix well. Pour over gelatin.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 139 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Feb 25, 2010
I make this all the time for bake sales or school events. I make 6 cakes and all 6 sell fast for a good price every time. It is so easy to make and comes out of pan clean!