Pineapple Sweet Potato Bread
This blue-ribbon recipe won ‘Best of Show’ at the county fair for Wanda Houston of Houlka, Mississippi. The delectable loaves are tiny and moist, she writes, “and I bake a lot of them for gifts during the holidays.”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (8 slices)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup grated peeled sweet potato
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, oil and egg; mix in the sweet potato, pineapple and orange zest. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to a 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 239 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 148mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Bread in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006