Crushed pineapple adds a tasty twist to these twice-baked sweet potatoes. Mini-marshmallows can be used in place of the pineapple if you prefer.
Recommended: 45 Surprising Foods You Can (and Should!) Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- Scrub and pierce sweet potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 12-14 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- When cool enough to handle, cut a thin slice off the top of each potato and discard. Scoop out pulp, leaving a thin shell. In a large bowl, mash the pulp. Add the crushed pineapple, butter, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg; mix well. Spoon into sweet potato shells.
- Place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with pineapple tidbits and brown sugar. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pineapple Sweet Potato Boats in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p115