Pineapple Sponge Pie
Here’s a home-style delight featuring a fluffy sponge layer on top and a smooth custard on the bottom. The pairing of tangy pineapple and lemon is so refreshing after a big dinner.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 eggs, separated
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained and chopped
- Fresh pineapple wedges and maraschino cherries, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges. Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in the milk, lemon juice and peel. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in pineapple.
- Beat egg whites and remaining salt until stiff peaks form; fold into filling. Spoon into pie pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes; lower temperature to 325° and bake 25-30 minutes longer or until top is puffed and lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with pineapple and cherries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Originally published as Pineapple Sponge Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.