- 4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- In a saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken; brown on all sides. Place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Pour reserved sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Add pineapple and green pepper. Bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forPineapple Pepper Chicken
"Made a 1/2 recipe. I could have added a few more pieces of chicken due to all of the sauce. Next time I may reduce the sugar by a bit, as others suggested."
"My family loves this dish!! My husband who never eats leftovers could not wait for the next day to eat it."
"We liked this recipe a lot, but the sauce is pretty sweet and there is too much of it. I made half the recipe, using half the chicken it called for, plus half the sauce....I didn't pour on all the sauce as it would have been swimming in it. When I make it again, I'll make one fourth the sauce when using only one chicken. I'll also reduce the amount of sugar."
"I always add 2 minced garlic cloves, carrots, and snow peas. Good!"
"This receipe, for me, was way too sweet. I decreased the white sugar by 1/2 Cup but it was still too sweet. Next time I will cut both the white sugar and the brown sugar in half."
"This has become a family favorite! It is such a great meal to make when having company over. It is wonderful served with the potluck rice pilaf (TOH recipe). We also make this in the dutch ovens when we are camping. WONDERFUL!"
"I made this with boneless skinless chicken breasts - it was a HUGE hit with my friends and family."