Pineapple Meringue Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spread batter over the bottom of two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans (batter will be about 1/4 in. thick); set aside.
- 2. In another large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue evenly over batter; sprinkle with walnuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pans for 5 minutes; loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove cakes from pans; cool completely, meringue side up, on wire racks.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Fold in pineapple. Transfer one cake layer to a serving plate, meringue side up. Carefully spread filling over meringue; top with the remaining cake layer. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 slice: 331 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Pineapple Meringue Cake
"This exact cake is in the 1930's edition of Better Homes and Gardens. It won their first recipe contest according to a note in their later cook book published in 1973 where the recipe was repeated. I have been making this cake for 40 years. It is good the first day and wonderful the second day as flavors blend so I often make it ahead of time. Enjoy!"
"This cake is heavenly. I followed the directions to the letter and it turned out perfect. I have passed the recipe on to my favorite people."