- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Add egg yolks and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spread batter over the bottom of two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans (batter will be about 1/4 in. thick); set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue evenly over batter; sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pans for 5 minutes; loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. using two large spatulas, carefully remove cakes from pans; cool completely, meringue side up, on wire racks.
- In a chilled mixing bowl, beat the cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Fold in pineapple. Transfer one cake layer to a serving plate, meringue side up. Carefully spread filling over meringue; top with the remaining cake layer. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forPineapple Meringue Cake
"This exact cake is in the 1930's edition of Better Homes and Gardens. It won their first recipe contest according to a note in their later cook book published in 1973 where the recipe was repeated. I have been making this cake for 40 years. It is good the first day and wonderful the second day as flavors blend so I often make it ahead of time. Enjoy!"
"This cake is heavenly. I followed the directions to the letter and it turned out perfect. I have passed the recipe on to my favorite people."