Pineapple Ham Sandwiches
I first sampled these at a bridal luncheon years ago. Now I frequently make them for our weekly neighborhood dinners.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 pound fully cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 8 to 10 onion rolls, split
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce, pineapple, water, brown sugar, mustard and cloves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until reduced by about one-third. Remove cloves. Add ham; simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve on rolls.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 258 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 994mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Pineapple Ham Sandwiches in Country Pork
Jan 17, 2012
This was delicious. I hadn't paid attention to the amounts when I went to the store, so I only had 15 oz. of tomato sauce instead of 29. I thought it turned out great. I took it to a church fellowship and didn't bring any home.