Pineapple Crunch Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in pineapple and walnuts. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- For icing, combine sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Pour over warm cake. Sprinkle with coconut if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 30, 2012
After reading the reviews for this cake, I was uneasy about making it. I looked at the list of ingredients and thought the reason everyone must think it is bland is because there is no vanilla in it. To the cake portion of the recipe, I added 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla.I also added 1 tsp of vanilla to the icing. I also changed the sugars. I used 1C sugar and 3/4 C brown sugar. I took this cake to a hospital where I was working an off duty detail. Everyone loved it and they were fighting over who got to eat the last piece. The cake was moist and not the least bit bland with the changes I had made. I even got requests for the recipe.
Sep 5, 2010
i'm sorry just not moist enough and very bland
Feb 8, 2010
I let the cake sit for a day; after 1st rating it as poor. I would upgrade to 2 1/2 star. The batter is bland, so it needs spice or flavoring. I am going to try almond or orange flavoring, and I will make it again. It is " not " a dry cake, but making it the way the recipe states, you will create a bland cake. The icing is the best part....delicious....make it with brown sugar, though, and I used milk and evaporated milk in the icing. B.M., Canada
Feb 7, 2010
The batter of this cake is very bland. I used brown sugar in the icing, so that was definitely the best part of the cake. Whomever invented this recipe definitely needs to do some revamping to the batter. I would not recommend this cake, but the icing provided you use the brown sugar, is excellent on many cakes. B.M. Canada