Pineapple Cider Wassail
Pineapple juice prevents this hot drink from becoming overly sweet. Skip the rum—without sacrificing flavor—for a beverage that's ideal for guests of all ages.—Lori Schmeling, Hartland, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes14 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 cups apple cider or juice
- 4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1-1/2 cups apricot nectar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup rum, optional
- Place the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the apple cider, pineapple juice, apricot nectar and orange juice. Add spice bag. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until flavors are blended. Discard spice bag. Stir in rum if desired. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 95 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Pineapple Cider Wassail in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010