Pineapple Apricot Bars
A buttery crust holds an apricot and pineapple filling in this dessert. The recipe comes from a cruise. — Jane Bricker, Scottdale, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup diced dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan, bring the pineapple and apricots to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Press 4 cups of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Spread hot pineapple mixture over crust; sprinkle with the remaining coconut mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Pineapple Apricot Bars in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.