Karen Mellinger Baker of Dover, Ohio blends a can of crushed pineapple into her meatballs to create a taste-tempting treat. Best of all, the sweet and tangy glaze that coats this big batch of bite-size snacks is a snap to prepare.
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-mayonnaise blend
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Place pineapple and 2 tablespoons juice in a large bowl (set the remaining juice aside for glaze). Add the egg, bread crumbs and pepper to pineapple. Crumble sausage and beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine glaze ingredients and reserved pineapple juice. Add meatballs. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Appetizer Meatballs in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p57
Reviews for Pineapple Appetizer Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review