- 1/2 cup cold whole milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Stir in pineapple. Fold in whipped topping.
- Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1-1/3 cups pineapple mixture. Repeat. Place top layer on cake; spread with remaining pineapple mixture. Sprinkle with coconut; garnish with cherries. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forPineapple Angel Food Torte
"I made this cake for a birthday party and everyone thought it looked and tasted great! However, I did change a few things: First of all, I baked an angel food cake mix (instead of purchasing one that was already prepared) and added 1 tsp. of grated orange peel. Then, I wanted more filling, so I used 1 cup milk, 2 (3 oz.) pkg. of vanilla pudding, 2 (8 oz.) cans of crushed pineapple, and 12 oz. Cool Whip. I didn't use all of it, but was still quite generous with it when I spread it in between the layers. (I ended up with about 2 cups left over.) I omitted the coconut as a topping and garnished the cake with mandarin oranges and maraschino cherries. I will definitely be making this cake again; however, in hindsight, I would cut the amount of milk down a bit since the filling was a little runnier than I'd like it. If I was traveling with this cake again, I would also wait to assemble the cake until we got to our destination...after driving 1 1/4 hours, the cake didn't look quite as nice when we got there as when we left home! Finally, an electric knife is a "must" to cut the cake with this much filling! I do realize that the minor "problems" I encountered were due to the fact that I increased the amount of filling and definitely not the recipe's fault. A 5-star recipe in my book and one I would highly recommend!"
"I made this into a trifle, and it was wonderful. I used blueberries instead of cherries."