VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pine nuts
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg yolk, lemon peel and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls. In a shallow bowl, combine honey and orange juice. Dip balls into honey mixture, then roll in pine nuts. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Fill centers with orange marmalade; cool completely. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Pine Nut Thumbprints in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006, p62