VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted and cooled
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon amaretto
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place pine nuts and 1/4 cup flour in a food processor. Pulse until pine nuts are finely chopped. In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in amaretto. Gradually beat in remaining flour and pine nut mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 2 minutes.
Roll warm cookies in remaining confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks. When cooled, reroll cookies in confectioners' sugar.
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. Roll cookies in confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Pine Nut Snowballs in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014