Pimiento Sour Cream Cornbread
Mother's corn bread is a special treat she made often while I was growing up and still makes today. My grandmother came up with this recipe years ago. True to tradition, I serve it frequently to my own family.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients; mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bread tests done.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze leftovers in a freezer bag.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 208 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Sour Cream Cornbread in Reminisce March/April 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.