- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Mayonnaise or mustard, optional
- Lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes
- 18 slices process American cheese
- 2-1/2 pounds sliced deli ham
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup butter, salt, egg and remaining sugar and water. Beat in 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape into ovals; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until golden. Melt remaining butter; brush over buns. Remove from pans to wire racks. When cool, split buns. Spread with mayonnaise or mustard if desired. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and ham. Replace tops. Place cream cheese in a plastic bag; cut a small hole in the corner of the bag. Pipe football laces on sandwiches. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews forPigskin Sandwiches
"Really good sandwich roll recipe."
"I have been searching for a great roll recipe. This one is excellent. It was so soft and delicious. I will definitely be making these again!"
"Wonderfully soft and tasty! I use this for hamburgers, and anytime I ned buns, just changing the size and shape."