Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder butt roast (5 pounds), halved
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 14 to 16 kaiser rolls, split
- In a large Dutch oven, brown pork in oil on all sides; drain. Combine the water, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, chili powder, celery seed and salt; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in onion and sweet pepper. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Remove roast. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks; set aside.
- Skim fat from pan juices. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually add to pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return pork to pan and heat through. Serve on rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 351 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 608mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 13, 2011
I used pork loins instead and put the whole thing in the crock pot and cooked it overnight on high. The meat was so tender it almost fell apart. I then lowered the temperature to low, pull the rest of the pork apart with a fork and let it simmer until dinner.
Dec 18, 2009
I used appox. 1/4 cup of horseradish & only 1 tablespoon of the hot sauce. Ended up with a great taste. Just a little zing!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.