- 1 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Maple syrup, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat mini-muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Shape sausage into forty-eight 3/4-in. balls. Place meatballs on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil and honey until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
Place a sausage ball into each mini-muffin cup; cover with batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm with syrup if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forPigs in a Pool
"This is an excellent idea and can't wait to try it. I gave it 5 stars because I think my grandson is going to love these. I always make him some sort of muffin to eat on the way to school everyday. One question I have is can syrup be added to the inside of the muffin before baking? That way it's a true complete muffin to eat on the go."
"I followed the recipe exactly and I was so disappointed. Number one -- the cooking time is too long -- I pulled my mini-muffin pans at 15 minutes but they were still much more than lightly browned. I know that the salt is added to activate with the baking powder to raise the "muffins" but much too salty for me and I like salt. I am still totally intrigued by this idea so I am going to try making regular size muffins in paper cups with the sausage. I got a Honey Muffin recipe from TOH that I am going to try to make work -- Since this is an award winning recipe -- I really am wondering what I did wrong."
"This is my kids favorite breakfast treat! It was published Taste of Homes Ultimate Freezer Recipe Magazine. Which has many favorites of ours! Can't go wrong with their award winning recipes!But back to this recipe! Great for a real breakfast for you or your kids! Make a batch or two and freeze them. 20-30 seconds in the microwave and they are heated through.***** 5 stars are earned here!"
"Even my youngest, very fussy, grandson loved these"