- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups small-curd cottage cheese, drained
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg and onion salt. In another bowl, combine potatoes, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Place three noodles in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cottage cheese mixture and three more noodles. Top with potato mixture, remaining noodles and sauteed onion. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forPierogi Casserole
"This was really easy and very tasty. Pierogies always remind me of the kase noodle made by my grandmother's family which immigrated from the Volga River German colonies in Russia. I loved both the potato and the cheese they would make. This recipe combines those. The ingredients could be more highly seasoned so adjust as you like."
"Very Very easy and Very Very good!!"
"added hamburger after reading reviews and seasoning. Will make again."
"Added a layer of cooked ground beef - my little man's "fav" all time supper!"
"This is a great recipe- it does taste like pierogies! It is a little bland. Next time I would add browned bread crumbs to the top, like my grandmother served over her pierogies! Or my husband suggested bacon bits."
"My hubby and kids love this...my hubby suggested maybe some ground turkey in it...I also add a couple of cans of mushrooms to the top..."
"AWESOME! Tastes just like pierogi from when I was a kid!"