Picnic Salad Skewers
"These make-ahead kabobs are a fun way to serve a chilled salad," says Iola Egle of McCook, Nebraska. A homemade vinaigrette complements the tender potatoes, crisp peppers, cherry tomatoes and sliced zucchini.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min.
- 8 unpeeled small red potatoes
- 8 fresh pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook for 10-13 minutes or until tender; drain. Place onions and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- On metal or wooden skewers, alternately thread potatoes, onions, peppers, tomatoes and zucchini. Place in a large shallow plastic container or large resealable plastic bag.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetable skewers. Marinate for at least 1 hour, turning frequently. Sprinkle with feta cheese if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Originally published as Picnic Salad Skewers in Quick Cooking July/August 2002