We love picnics here in the Midwest, and this pea salad is a perfect companion for fried chicken, hot dogs or hamburgers. I discovered this delicious recipe so long ago that I forgot where it came from.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Saute green pepper, onion and celery. Add sugar, bay leaf, peas, tomatoes, half the tomato liquid, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove to a bowl and sprinkle with bacon. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 137 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 548mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 8, 2017
Black-eyed peas and bacon go together and they taste great in this wonderful side dish!!
Dec 17, 2009
This is a long-time favorite in my family and not just for picnics! We like it at room temperature best.