Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Saute green pepper, onion and celery. Add sugar, bay leaf, peas, tomatoes, half the tomato liquid, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove to a bowl and sprinkle with bacon. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 137 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 548mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 8, 2017
Black-eyed peas and bacon go together and they taste great in this wonderful side dish!!
Dec 17, 2009
This is a long-time favorite in my family and not just for picnics! We like it at room temperature best.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.