Picnic Hot Dogs
Kids of all ages will have a hard time eating just one of these hot dogs. The tempting ground beef sauces makes them especially fun and flavorful.—Helen Thomas, Ravenswood, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 30 min. + simmering
Makes145 servings (about 8 quarts sauce)
- 10 pounds ground beef
- 5 cups chopped onions
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 gallon tomato juice
- 1/2 gallon tomato paste
- 2-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/3 cup dried parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 145 hot dogs and buns
- In a large kettle, brown beef; drain. Add the next 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Heat the hot dogs; place in buns and top each with about 1/4 cup sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 341 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 979mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Picnic Hot Dogs in Taste of Home June/July 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.