Picnic Chicken with Yogurt Dip
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + chilling
Makes24 servings (4 cups dip)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs
- CREAMY LEEK DIP:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 envelope leek soup mix
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasonings. Divide butter between two 13x9-in. baking dishes.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture. Place in prepared pans. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, turning once. Cool 30 minutes; refrigerate until chilled.
- For dip, in a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, combine yogurt, soup mix and cheese; fold in whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with cold chicken.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 30, 2016
Only tried the chicken, but even without the dip, it was delicious. About 30 minutes into the baking time, I turned the chicken over to avoid having the pieces stick and crisp up both sides. It worked well.
Feb 18, 2016
Wonderful Recipe :)
Aug 31, 2014
Delicious chicken! I made this for my dad's birthday and everyone liked it. By the way, it was good both with and without the dip.
Feb 23, 2014
Didn't have marjoram so we just used poultry seasoning for the 1/2 teaspoons as it includes thyme, rosemary and marjoram plus a little extra. I usually bake with skinless bone-in chicken thighs so I was excited not to waste time at the cutting board..but I hated the skin being on. The crunch factor felt pointless with a gooey skin layer underneath. And wow were these things drowning in butter. I couldn't bring myself to eat the leftovers. For that much fat, the recipe better be delicious but the flavor to me was nothing special. My husband much prefers the seasoning on these: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/key-lime-chicken-thighs (I skip the rosemary).
Sep 6, 2013
Do I use plain or Italian Bread crumbs?
Sep 3, 2013
Finally a crispy baked chicken recipe and tasty too! Removed the skin and baked for 45 minutes. None left to serve cold! Didn't make the dip and didn't miss it. Great for Sunday dinner too..
Sep 2, 2013
This recipe was WONDERFUL! Almost like Ky. Fried chicken. I used Panko bread crumbs and added some extra spices like cayenne pepper, parmesan cheese, and a little cumin. Mmmm. Delicious! I melted the butter in the pan and put the chicken in it and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours before baking and it turned out perfectly. I lowered the baking time to 45 minutes and the chicken was juicy and moist and the flavor was great!
Aug 28, 2013
It was very good, i did make a few changes thou, I removed the skin and instead of dipping it in eggs and the water mixture I used mayonaise to coat the chicken then i rolled in in the crumb mixture. Instead of the dip that it calls for I used Ranch Dressing, and yes it was much better cold!
Aug 27, 2013
The chicken is fantastic but the sauce really makes this a pleasing dish!
Jul 23, 2013
It was so moist the favor was so DELISH !!! I am an Elderly and I hve been cooking for 60 years and l know my Chicken l say to you out there you must try this Recipe !!! auntbea ( North East, Maryland )